Monday, April 28, 2014

Gardening Updates

Good news. The garden has not entirely self destructed. In fact, it's doing okay. Here's a quick update in case you spent any time worrying about it in the last couple weeks.

First, we converted it from a dirt pit to a mulchified sanctuary. No more dust clouds or mud puddles. And I made a little pathway using some cement tiles I found in the garage.




I know, I'm really making the garage out to be a neverending source of gardening supplies. It's just been a series of handy coincidences that so much junk was left behind, but I promise this was the last of it. Then again, maybe I will find a use for an old door spray-painted with blue squares or a wobbly folding table with cotton bits stuck to the surface.

But on to the real issue, how are the plants doing?

SPAGHETTI SQUASH
STATUS: NOTICEABLY LARGER BUT WHAT'S WITH THE LEAVES?


It must have grown to about 4 times the size of the seedling I planted, so that's a very good sign that it's happy. But then again the leaves have holes and brown spots.

ASSORTED PEPPERS
STATUS: THRIVING



In the front are the bell peppers I grew from seeds, then the jalapeƱo seedlings, and in the back the tall chap is a banana pepper plant. All are standing tall and proud with shiny green leaves. The banana pepper plant even has what looks to be the start of 4 peppers. (Originally 5, until I went in for a closer look and managed to knock one off.)

TOMATOES
STATUS: GOD DAMN IT
 


While they are growing, and are certainly more sturdy since plating, they just look wimpy with wilty leaves. I've backed off on their watering schedule since apparently you can water something too much. Who knew? After complaining loudly to anyone who would listen at work, it was suggested that maybe they don't like the neighboring plants, but when I consulted with my client the expert gardener, he confirmed that tomatoes and peppers are usually suitable companions. My current theory is that they're not getting enough sunlight, so I might switch them to a grow box and set that someplace sunnier. The only locale that comes to mind is the driveway. So that should look normal.

HERBS
STATUS: FINE BUT WHO CARES

I know,  I shouldn't diss on the herb portion of the garden but its progress just isn't as thrilling as the prospect of growing a whole vegetable out of thin air. Also, I don't know what I was thinking when I bought a Mexican tarragon plant. I've used tarragon in precisely one dish ever. The mint stands a better chance of making an appearance in my kitchen, though I've yet to come up with any ideas besides fancy water. In the background is a somewhat dead rosemary plant. I don't know what it wants from me.

CUCUMBERS
STATUS: I JUST PLANTED THE SEEDS GIVE ME A BREAK

Following the instructions on the seed packet, I build up a few little hills and threw seeds on the top of them. Looking at the mounds it seems preposterous that this would be the start to something, but I suppose time will tell.


Meanwhile, in the flower bed out front, the packet of random wildflower seeds I planted is starting to yield a few blossoms. So far, we've got these teency white flowers, which aren't giving us much mileage in terms of curb appeal, but are really adorable so they I'll let them stay.




No comments:

Post a Comment